Housing and Meal Plan Accommodation Request


Housing Accommodation Requests

Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF) students with disability related housing requests, please contact the ESF Student Affairs Office at 110 Bray Hall, Phone:  315-470-6660.

Syracuse University (SU) students with disability related housing requests, please see below for information about how to submit your housing requests.

Guidelines for Requesting Reasonable Housing  Accommodation(s) 

Requests for disability-related housing accommodations such as room adaptions or configurations, or modification of any rule, policy, procedure or service are treated similarly to general requests for accommodations and/or auxiliary aides and evaluated on a case-by case basis.  However, in order to expedite requests, students are asked to complete the Center for Disability Resources (CDR) registration form and check ‘Disability-Related Housing Accommodation(s) Only’.  Students may also provide supporting documentation along with a completed Housing Healthcare Provider/Advocate Form and work with CDR Access Coordinator to determine the accommodation(s) that are necessary to ensure access to university living. 

  • Requests for emotional support animals in university housing are treated as general requests since additional academic and classroom accommodations may also be appropriate so we advise students to complete the entire Housing Healthcare Provider/Advocate form. 

Review Process 

To evaluate all requests accurately and equitably, a deadline is set to mitigate the likelihood of undue administrative burden, i.e., significant difficulty in fulfilling a request once room assignments are completed.  CDR will continue to accept and review housing accommodation requests beyond the deadline, but fulfillment will be based on availability. Therefore, if a housing accommodation request is received after the due date, and the accommodation is approved, the student will be placed on a wait list. Students are strongly encouraged to adhere to the appropriate deadlines. 

Deadline for Current Students: March 1 for the following academic year 

Deadline for Incoming Students: June 1 

We anticipate ten (10) to fourteen (14) business days to complete the process after all supporting documentation is received.  However, depending upon the number and complexity of requests, the length of the process may vary. 

Requesting a Housing Accommodation 

  1. Students must fill out a registration form with the Center for Disability Resources. Note: Current Students who are already registered with CDR should log into their Disability Student Portal and make a “Supplemental Request”. 
  2. Check ‘Disability Related Housing Accommodation(s) Only’ 
  3. Along with your registration form, upload the Housing Healthcare Provider/Advocate Form” and any relevant supporting documentation that describe the functional impact of the disability in a residential environment and a clear rationale for the specific housing request(s). 
  4. Upon receipt of the request, students will be assigned an Access Coordinator who will initiate their review. Coordinators gather as much information as needed in order to understand the nexus between the specific request and the disability impact.  This is done in various ways that may include speaking with the student, reviewing documentation, and/or perhaps even speaking with the provider or advocate.  Once a coordinator gathers enough information to make a decision, they present the student’s request to our Housing Accommodation Committee for a final decision. 
    1. Keep in mind, CDR determines the elements that make up a disability-related housing accommodation (such as room configuration, modification to meal plans, proximity to restrooms etc.) needed for student access in university housing. The Housing Office determines and places students in whichever hall/room the parameters identified by CDR.
    2. CDR does not determine a specific room or hall. The Housing staff consults with CDR (when needed) to determine if the location chosen is effective in providing equivalent access.
  5. Once a decision is made, students will be notified via their syr.edu email.  If approved, The Housing Office will be copied on the notification and they take over the process from there.  If a student’s request is not approved, we will provide an explanation.  if one is deemed appropriate, we may also offer an alternate accommodation..  We may also make referrals to other campus resources. 
  6. All communications regarding the student’s request will be sent to the student’s syr.edu email address as well as be maintained in the Disability Resource Portal. 

The Center for Disability Resources reserves the right to request additional information and/or to recommend an alternate accommodation(s).

Meal Plan Requests: 

Most requests pertaining to dietary options can be satisfied by working directly with Syracuse University’s Food Services and the University’s registered dietitian. 

If the university’s dietitian recommends that a student qualifies for a meal plan accommodation due to dietary restrictions that Dining Services cannot fulfill, students will be referred to the Center for Disability Resources to formally register and request a disability-related meal plan accommodation.  In this case, students should follow the same guidelines for requesting housing accommodations. 


For any accommodation request that is denied or when students have been provided with an alternative accommodation that they perceive to be inadequate, students may appeal that decision to Director & ADA/503/504 Coordinator of Syracuse University at by phone at (315) 443-4018 or email: ada@syr.edu

The University will make every effort to address appeals in a timely manner. 

Documentation Guidelines 

To determine eligibility for housing accommodation(s) or modification(s), a student must be a qualified student with a disability as defined by the Fair Housing Act (FHA) (i.e., have a physical or mental impairment(s) that substantially limits one or more major life activities) and in cases where the disability is not obvious or otherwise known to us, submit documentation from the appropriate healthcare provider or advocate. The provider/advocate must be familiar with the history and functional limitations of the student’s disability and be able to comprehensively answer the questions provided below. The provider/advocate cannot be a relative of the student. 

Specific to housing, we ask that the appropriate provider or advocate complete the Housing Healthcare Provider/Advocate Form and attach any supporting documentation, i.e., medical records or other related assessments to support the specific housing recommendations.  Requests will not be processed until CDR receives either the Housing Healthcare Provider/Advocate Form or supporting documentation. 

Questions that are considered when determining the most effective accommodation(s) necessary to ensure access to university living: 

  • What is the (linear) connection between the functional impact of the disability and the necessity for  the specific housing recommendation(s)? 
  • Is there a negative health impact that may be permanent if the specific request is not met? 
  • Is the student’s disability permanent or temporary? 
  • Can you recommend alternate accommodations? 
  • Is the recommendation an integral component of a treatment plan for the disability in question? If yes, please explain: 
  • Does the recommendation center on room adaptations that are necessary for safe and independent occupancy in the residence hall? 
  • Describe the likely impact to the student’s ability to use and enjoy the dwelling and/or common area if the request is not met? 
  • Do you recommend an alternate accommodation if the recommended accommodation would result in a fundamental alteration or undue burden, i.e. significant difficulty or expense? 
  • What medications does the student take for the disability and are there potential side-effects that may further impact living in the residence hall and/or unit or apartment?